Friday, April 3, 2009

Not Many Changes...

I checked on Faith every couple of hours last night, and her attitude and behavior did not seem to change. Her temp remained consistent and her sweating ended. She finished the rest of her grain around 2am, but still has not touched any of her hay. I pulled it out of her stall and gave her some "fresh" stuff to entice her, but she's not interested. I'll keep monitoring her throughout the day.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

TBDancer made a comment last night that this may be to her being in season - thanks for bringing that up! We had a new horse arrive thjs past weekend and he was successful at licking her face over the fence and getting her to come into heat. (Apparently it doesn't take much these days...) This could definitely be why her attitude has changed, but I've never had a mare that has altered their eating habits so drastically due to a hormonal change. Have any of you experienced this? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is the cause of her recent behavior and discomfort.

Thanks for everyone's advice and well wishes! It means a lot!

.

6 comments:

  1. I have a coming 5 year old mare. Not all the time, but sometimes when she is coming into season, she will act colicky. I give her either 500 or 750 pound dose of Banamine and this pulls her out of it. She does poop so I know it is not an impaction...

    very coincidental - she had an 'episode' yesterday, finally gave her banamine around 7pm. And is still not feeling quite herself today.

    She is not like this every heat cycle.... And I have had her since birth. Can not find any common denominator (besides possible heat) as to why she is doing this.

    Hope Faith is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some mares do go off feed briefly during onset of their heat cycle. Stomach ulcers too could be the culprit. I hope she if feeling better soon! I have faith you will get to the bottom of whatever is bothering her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had a mare that when a new gelding came or there was a significant change in routine, she would go into severe heat.

    I'm keeping my fingers crossed this is all that's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a mare that when a new gelding came in she would go into severe heat.

    I'm crossing my fingers that this is all that is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear Faith is feeling under the weather! I guess if she's coming into heat, it means she's a lot healthier. (Or do horses still come into heat regardless of body condition?) Being female can be such a nuisance sometimes. Yuck. I'll keep her in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a filly that has 'colicky' heats. It's a little disconcerting, but when she appears angry at her bellyache instead of sick, I give her a touch of Banamine and it's all better.

    ReplyDelete